Welcome! My name is Alesandra Zsiba and I am a multi-disciplinary teaching artist deeply rooted in the visual and literary arts. My teaching philosophy is largely concept driven, issue based, and at its core aims to utilize the arts a vehicle for cultivating a multi-faceted understanding of literacy (understood as reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing).  I aim to encourage creativity, imagination, and expansive learning inside and outside the classroom by nurturing an active question-based teaching environment. In addition, I am especially passionate about teaching students how to become innovative storytellers of their time. Through documentary photography and poetry workshops, and spoken word and movement metaphor workshops, my students are given the opportunity to investigate their lives and selves in a safe place. Through the active creation of this space, students find that their voices are worthy of being heard, worthy of the ultimate ear, worthy of a Stage. Ultimately, my work as a teaching artist is about building a creative family, teaching my students how to take risks, how to become proud, how to surprise themselves, and how to awaken a practice of daily affirmation through self-expression.

I hope you enjoy my site!

Alesandra Zsiba

AmeriCorps EDTAP Teaching Artist 2011-2012